The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

something old, something new

One of my co-workers is getting married this fall. She's seen my knitting at work, so she asked me to knit something for her. Rather than simply make another hat, or god forbid assign myself another pair of socks, I decided to make her this knitted garter. I think it will be a fun part of my quest to use ever tinier needles, and one less thing she'll have to look for while she's out doing wedding shopping stuff. After MaryElla, I'm also thinking it might be kind of cool to add beads in there somewhere.

Seriously, the beads are kind of addictive. I'm having to remind myself that I have BIL socks going, plus the very last pair of Great Sneaky Sock Project of 2006 after that for my father in law (whose shoe size I still don't know), not to mention the Trekalong socks to get going on, plus Ben's sweater, plus this garter, not to mention poor old Branching Out which looks exactly the same as it did last time I photographed it, and I really don't need to also start the Unmatched Cuffs.

Because that would be ridiculous.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Okay, I can't pull up that link right now for some reason, but I was JUST SAYING yesterday to a coworker that if - er, when - Travis and I finally do that thing, I'm going to knit myself a garter. AND he told me this brilliant thing he did for a friend's wedding - rather than the old "pay for a dance" thing that the bride and groom do for cash at the wedding, he decided to auction off the garter (rather than the bride throwing it). She had a garter she really loved and wanted to keep, so he made a joke one (he made this four-foot wide garter and teased that it was the mother-of-the-bride's garter from her wedding - the mother was a friend of his) and auctioned it off. It went for something like 500 dollars. So I'll knit a really fabulous garter (or two - I doubt I'll want to give my only one up) and auction one off. :-)

10:52 AM  
Blogger rene said...

Wow, I've never heard of the dancing tradition. (Or the auction one, obviously, since that sounds like a new one. ;) I will keep you posted on the garter progress. First, though, I have to get myself to the big box craft store and get some #40 cotton. Or at least look at it and see what weight it is so I can substitute knowledgeably. Silk, maybe? Wool/silk blend? The possibilities are exciting! (Not laceweight wool though, probably. She's getting married outdoors in October- it may or may not be warm at that time, and it gets sweaty underneath those layers of slips and dresses if it's at all warm.)

I feel you on the if/when thing. Ben and I dated for years before we got engaged. Enough so that when we told his parents, his dad said, "about time." ;)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's going to be a really great gift, Rene!

Heh, when did having too many projects stop any of us from starting more?!

12:29 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Unfortunately, never, but I like to make at least a token effort!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home