The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Sunday, June 04, 2006

maryella

As predicted, the MaryElla, she was finished Saturday. Here she is, admiring how potted the plants are with the leftover thread and beads.



And here she is bedecking my wrist, admiring the fact that, yes, the petunias are potted, too.


And here she is out in the sunlight, thinking that perhaps the details are a little less visible, but my skin looks slightly less pasty in this one.


Some stats: I made her from this kit on US 000s. Bead stringing time: about 2 hours. Knitting time (including finishing): somewhere between 5 and 6 hours. Beads used, according to my calculator: 1,200. Estimated leftover beads already strung: 432. To estimate my leftover beads, I counted the number of beads in one inch of strung beads, and then multiplied that by the number of inches remaining. Scientastic, no? I think I might make a skinny little companion bracelet out of the leftovers, and give them both to my sister as part of her birthday present.

So, it turns out the devil really is in the details. I was very excited to finish the knitting on MaryElla, and to have had the forethought to bring both snaps and a needle with me so I could really really finish it. I broke apart the snaps and merrily started sewing the first one on. Since snaps take a lot (relatively speaking) of force to separate, I sewed the crap out of that bad boy. This is a snap, thought I, that is not going anywhere, no matter how many times it is unsnapped. Then I noticed I had sewed it on backward.

...

You see, the reverse side of the female snap looks an awful lot like the right side of male snap, if one is not paying strictest attention. At least I only sewed one on before I noticed. Of course, in an effort to keep my finishing minimal, I had sewed on the snap with the cast off tail, so I couldn't just cut it off, but had to unpick it with my sewing needle, which, being sharp, wanted to separate the plies. Good times. It gave me something to do. And the knitting/finishing time above allots time for my personal dumbassery, so just imagine how quickly you make one of these if you didn't screw it up.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

It turned out great!!

Hee hee, I would totally do something like that with the snap. Whoops.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Alyson said...

That's just gorgeous! I think yours looks even better than the one photographed for the pattern. And o! the patience...yeesh.

That right there is why I avoid notions...I'm fairly certain the first time I have to sew in a zipper, I'll do so inside out or something. The first time I had to do a kitchener stitch (for a bag), I twisted the strap and grafted the thing perfectly, but the strap was completely wonky. I briefly considered calling it a design element before I caved and fixed it.

4:31 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Very cool! I'm also pleased to read you used the US 000's for the pattern... have to remember that :)

6:34 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Thanks for the kind words! It really was a fun knit. Not that much patience involved, tiny needles notwithstanding. Actually, the garter stitch which is the base of the pattern is certainly stretchy enough that you could just sew or 3 needle bind off the ends to each other and not mess with the snaps at all. It would still slide over your hand easily. In fact, that's what I'm going to do with the leftover bracelet. :)

4:46 PM  
Blogger Sandra D. said...

It's VERY nice! Great job on it, and good idea about skipping the snaps next time.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home