The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Monday, June 12, 2006

i need a weekend after my weekend

I did not get much knitting done over the weekend because we had a rich, full social schedule, and I am pregnant and tire easily. Friday night, there was an alumni cocktail party for the high school that both Ben and I went to. We ended up going to a bar afterwards with some folks we hadn't seen in a while. I made it through 2 non-alcoholic beers and about an hour before I had to plead exhaustion.

Saturday, I went to the Farmer's Market with my parents and my sister (and her dog, he's far more popular than we humans are. He gets recognized from year to year, and he's very popular with the under five set) and scored some really delicious blueberries and some pretzel bread. Truly, I can't sing the praises of the pretzel bread enough. The last two weeks have been pleasant, but this Saturday it was hot. At 8 a.m. Man, it's going to be a long summer.

I had my first uninvited stomach touching by a total stranger at the Farmer's Market. (I've had a few by acquaintances, and of course, family doesn't count.) She then apologized and let me hold her little 6 week old puppy to make up for it, so I let it slide. This time. It was still very bizarre.

After the Farmer's Market, I went to get a pedicure with my mom and sister and noticed that my feet have begun to swell. Is it the heat? Am I being punished for the tiny little heels that I wore to the alumni cocktail party? (Or could it just be, you know, pregnancy?) I've been putting away water like I'm moving to the Gobi desert tomorrow. The entire rest of the weekend I spent casting envious glances at the ankles of the ladies around me, admiring their visible bone structure and non-cankle-y joints.

Saturday night, we went to an annual croquet tournament. It's a fun time. The third keg was brought in at 8:45 p.m. I sat sipping my water, watching all the folks putting away beer while walking around on their dainty, unswollen feet, with their visible waists and normal-sized boobs, and it occured to me: I'm kinda tired of being pregnant.

Sunday, we went to a party for Ben's work, after watching a little soccer. (Actually, anything I do for the next month, mentally add "after watching a little soccer." World Cup! Woo hoo!) It was a lot of fun, but kinda hot, and wouldn't you know, all the ladies there had cute feet, too. And they were going swimming. In bikinis. While drinking beer. I helped myself to another Pauli Girl N.A. and a second helping of mac and cheese, thanks.

Then we went for drinks and cake to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday, and I hope I don't have to tell you that I fell asleep on the couch pretty damn quickly after all that. I could use another day or two to recover from all the festivities. A day or two which would be spent on the couch with my feet over my head, in the probably vain hope that all the blood making them look like watermelons might drain away to somewhere useful, and I could see my beloved ankle bones again. I'm wearing my Pomatomus socks today. I don't care if my feet get hot, I want to look at something pretty when I keep obsessively checking to see if the feet I know and love have resurfaced.

I don't know why this is bugging me so much. Expanding midriff? The sign of the miracle of life taking place within. Unfortunate attractant to strangers' hands, but still: miraculous. Weird line under bellybutton? Kinda cool. Perpetual hot flashes? Great! I'm making more blood for the baby! Bellybutton getting shallower and assuming an odd angle (doubtless prepatory to becoming an outie)? Well, neato cool! Swollen ankles and feet? Stop this ride, I want to get off. Is it September yet?

To distract from all this sudden pregnancy bitterness, let us remind ourselves how cute babies are:






I don't have any cute people baby picture on hand, but kittens definitely work.














I feel better already.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Awwwww, kitties. I would want a kitten...if I'd forgotten yet what having a kitten was like. (Adorable, yet destructive.)

I think I'll probably flip out the first time a complete stranger comes up and touches me like that. I can be very touchy about strangers even talking to me in public, depending on my mood, and that's just plain weird. Why do people need to do that - what are they hoping will happen? And then there's the ones that ask permission first, which is almost even weirder...

I'm praying for your feet. (It'd drive me nuts too. You are not alone.)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Those are some mightily cute kittens. Hang in there! It will be so worth it. :) (Based on the recent advent of a baby in my life.)

12:39 AM  
Blogger rene said...

I know it'll be worth it. I'm just ready to get there!

You know, people rub Buddha's belly for luck. Maybe the similarity in shape of the pregnant lady belly is confusing them. :) It does freak me out a little. I kind of think the best response is maybe to reach over and touch their belly back.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Sandra D. said...

Awwwww, the kittens are so cute! Yeah, babies are cute.

I love the idea of touching bellies back - it gave me a good chuckle!

I tuned in to your blog late, so when is your baby due? Sounds like you're going to go through the summer pregnant at any rate. I'll be sending cool, soothing thoughts your way.

And yes, I take my knitting on kayaking trips. I take it just about everywhere. I'm a slow knitter and nothing would ever get finished if I didn't. Not that a lot of things get finished anyway.

5:44 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Sandra, the baby is due September 20th, and I can't wait! So yes, if June is already getting me down, July and August are going to suck. But, you take babies when they come, and at least I have AC. :)

The last time I went on a kayaking trip (actually, it was rafting trip, although we did have some inflatable "funyaks"), I was 15, and it predated my knitting. I'm guessing you pack ziplock bags? I take my knitting everywhere, too. The only times I don't, I get stuck somewhere where I miss it.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home