The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Thursday, June 08, 2006

i can't stop...

... with the beads! Here is a skinny wee companion bracelet to MaryElla. I think I used about 330 beads, and who knows how much cotton thread- I still have a pretty good amount. Made on US 000s.



Sl1 = slide a bead between stitches, where the number equals the number of beads. E.g., sl2 means slide 2 beads between stitches.

To make: Cast on 4 st.
row 1: knit
row 2: knit
row 3: knit
row 4: knit
rows 5 & 6: k2, sl1, k2
rows 7 & 8: k2, sl2, k2
rows 9 & 10: k2, sl3, k2

row 11 - whatever: k2, sl4, k2

repeat until bracelet is .5 inch shorter than you want it to be. Then repeat rows 9 &10. rows 7 & 8, and rows 5 &6 in that order.

knit a row
knit another row

graft live stitches to cast on edge, or cast off and sew the cast off to the cast on edge.

Here you can see my grafted edges:


Another thing I think would look good (maybe better, in fact) would be to slip the first stitch of every row so that the edges would be a little neater. This didn't occur to me until about halfway through, so I didn't bother with it.

If the beads want to trangress from between the stitches to actually in the stitch, it is far easier to drop the stich and reknit it than to try and push the little buggers back into place. You don't want to know how many tries it took me to figure that out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yowza - so tiny! So pretty!

3:52 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Thanks! Since the MaryElla cuff is much bigger, I want her to have options. Skinny bracelet, big bracelet. All shiny. :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger Alyson said...

Yay! It's gonna let me comment - I like it! I want to try...but on 0s, maybe with a laceweight...the idea of working with anything much smaller than 0s makes my head hurt!

10:36 AM  
Blogger rene said...

It took a little getting used to, but mainly because the cotton thread is so slippery, and the 000s I have are metal. (Can you imagine wood ones? It would be like working with a splinter!)

I think the Unmatched Cuffs are worked on 0s. I'm still trying to be good and finish something before I start those up, HA HA.

11:25 AM  
Blogger aija said...

Very cool! Almost have to get a bead kit from earthfaire now...!

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home