The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

help

Ok, Alyson, I want you to pat yourself on the back for being a very effective enabler:




Now, can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

The single perpetually wants to unspin itself. Is this normal? Or am I doing something unconventional? I'm looking at some Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride, which is basically a single. It doesn't want to turn back into sheep fluff every time I let go of it. Why does my single want to revert?

How does one keep the spindle going in a clockwise rotation without it wanting to cackle evily and begin going counterclockwise?

Coincidentally, Digging for the Truth was on last night. It was the episode about Vikings. There was a brief scene with a woman using a drop spindle. No matter how many times I paused it and went back, those 4 seconds did not illuminate my personal process.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Wahoo! I did it!

Mine wants to untwist every time too. I'd give advice, but having conquered spindling exactly twice so far, I'm not an expert. I hold onto my spindle a lot, and when I'm not spinning, I let it flop over and support itself with the weight of the yarn so it can't untwist. I also don't use a leader yarn to start off - I couldn't get the hang of it, so I just hand-twisted enough fiber to get it going and went with that. I'm marching to the beat of my own spindle....

As you wind what you've worked onto the spindle, keep a good grip on the end so it can't untwist. Once it's wrapped on, you don't have to worry about it. Then when you wind off and skein it, you just do so carefully and then set the twist. (I honestly don't know what that means. I've just seen it talked about....I hung mine from a hanger and weighted it, covered it with a pillowcase, and lightly steamed it...which may have been a method of setting the twist, but I didn't do it well because it's still a little goofy.)

10:03 AM  
Blogger rene said...

Whew! Ok, that's a relief. I went and looked at the picture of your pretty pretty skein on your blog, and thought to myself, "how the f@*^ is that not unwinding?!?" Now that I know you set it first, I feel better. :) It is looking less goofy as I go along, but NOT MUCH.

Not using a leader yarn sounds like a good idea. Trying to use one was pretty funny and led to swearing. Also kitties trying to eat the leader yarn with little pieces of sheep fluff stuck to it. Good times.

I actually had the forethought to tape the Knitty Gritty show about spindling, but apparently the VCR (which we never use since we got TiVO) was on the wrong channel, so all I got was snow and the very faint sound of Vicki Howell's voice. Not actually all that helpful.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I have no idea! :) But I kinda like the mental image of the yarn fighting to return to fluff. "NOOOOOO!!!"

12:47 PM  
Blogger Sandra D. said...

Oh, I'm going to stay tuned about this issue and watch you turn into an expert!

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home