The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Thursday, June 01, 2006

decisions, decisions

So, I keep looking at this spindle kit.


Pros:

1. How cool would it be to knit something that I had spun my very own self? Pretty damn cool, that's how cool.

2. I've taught myself how to do things out of books before, and there are lots of instructional sites on the web.

3. Roving is so pretty, so very, very pretty.

4. It's only $26.95. Even if I don't like it, I'm only out thirty bucks.


Cons:

1. Well, yes, it would be damn cool. You'd feel like a bad ass, is how you'd feel.

2. Despite being pretty good at the book learnin', you don't have anyone to teach you, and looking at the instructional websites, it seems like it might be helpful to have someone show you how to do it. Confess, it'd be the cats chasing the spindle around the apartment, with you chasing the cats, and little pieces of sheep hair joining the cat hair that's everywhere anyway, and none of it ending up looking like "yarn."

3. Roving is so very, very pretty. Have you looked at how much yarn you have? Have you looked at what precious little storage space you have? Have you thought about where the hell you're going to put the baby's stuff, not to mention the baby??

4. It's only $26.95 at first. Then comes the roving. Then more spindles. Then you get a spinning wheel, for crying out loud. Then you end up getting a sheep, and dear god, where will you put that?


Sigh.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Okay, I am completely incapable of doing anything with grace. I'm a klutz of the highest degree...even my knitting process isn't as smooth and fluid as knitting should be. I have my spindle, and I should have my roving today or tomorrow at the latest. If I can manage to teach myself how to do this, ANYONE can, and I will enable you. If I try and fail more than once, I'll mail you my homemade (but decent) spindle and roving and you can give it a try.

Sound fair?

11:24 AM  
Blogger rene said...

You are SUCH an enabler! That's more than fair, that's incredibly generous of you. Maybe I should just go ahead and order it so we can both falter through this. I assure you, I know from klutzy. I keep thinking about it, and seeing people's attempts online just tempts me more. I forget which website I looked at that said, "even if you didn't like spinning, the spindle and wool will look pretty next to your fireplace," a convincing argument, I feel, even if I don't actually have a fireplace. :)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Resist! Resist! There have to be some non-spinning knitters. Don't leave me as the only one! :)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Alyson said...

C'mon, spindling doesn't even COUNT as spinning. And if the stuff's ugly, you can always turn the roving into a felt project. (I don't know how you would do that, but I know it's done because they call roving "roving/felting", so there has to be a reason for that, and I'm sure there's instructions on the Internet for that.)

And there is no such thing as ugly yarn...only yarn with special needs.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Abigale said...

I am an even bigger clutz than anybody else I know... My ex used to say that everyone had their little problems - Ab's just happens to be gravity. Honestly.

I taught myself how to spin using a bottom whorl drop spindle, and not very nice raw wool (which I did wash, thankyouverymuch) and comb out with a dog comb. Man that stuff was pretty nasty! I had no instruction at all - just written words on the internet (this was before all the nifty video clips were produced).

I was able to provide endless hours of entertainment for my family. I literally used to stand on the coffee table and try to get the whole thing to work. They do call it a drop spindle for a reason. Much swearing and hilarity ensued.

But I kept at it, and now I spin just about everyday.

Your pros and cons list is pretty good. I wonder myself - I mean I have a floor-to-ceiling yarn stash - and yet I go and make more... yarn? Be warned - it is very addictive! So many fibers to try... So many techniques. So much lovely scrumminess to be had - and a lot of the really really nice fibers out there you can do for less money than buying commercial - plus there is that satisfaction of knowing that you have made something totally from scratch...

So, be aware, and be careful - if you do decide to come over to the spinning side, it's a whole nother obsession - but luckily one that compliments the knitting obsession very nicely.

Whatever you decide - have fun!

Abi

7:40 PM  
Blogger Sandra D. said...

I bought that kit a long time ago. And it stared at me for years before I finally donated it to someone who was actually going to use it. I could NOT for the life of me "get it" from even a good book, and like you had no one to show me. I need to be shown some things (like Norweigan Purl, German twisted cast on). I also finally figured that I already have enough yarn to last through two lifetimes and there's no sense in (1) making more and (2) taking time away from knitting what I have. So count me among the non-spinning knitters, too!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home