The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Friday, June 02, 2006

bead-o-rama

I got a package in the mail last night that I wasn't expecting until next week. So I immediately had to start stringing beads. Approximately one metric fuckton of teeny tiny little beads. (You can see my big eye needle to the left of my bead stringing bowl.) I watched The Rise of Man on Discovery while I was stringing beads, and it took me from Neanderthal to Homo Sapiens to get all these freakin' beads strung.




Then I had to frantically search for my never-been-used US0000s, which I never did find after half an hour of digging through both the likely and unlikely places they might be. I went ahead and cast on with US000s, and it seems to be working out just fine. This is a project for which gauge, while important, is not totally strict. Can you guess what it is?



How about a hint?




It's Maryella, from Knitty. It's so fun, teeny tiny needles, skinny wee cotton thread, microscopic beads and all. (And with these blue aluminum needles, I feel a bit like Superman just knitting it.) I only knit for about two hours last night, what with the bead stringing and all, and I think I'm almost halfway done.

I ordered the MaryElla supplies from Earthfaire on Monday, and they got here Thursday. I cannot say enough nice things about Earthfaire. First of all, they were quick, which is a virtue in this house of immediate gratification. Second, their presentation was nice. The goodies were packed in the box with pretty tissue paper, and MaryElla and the other kit I ordered were each bagged separately. Of course, I ripped right into MaryElla before photographing it, but I did exercise enough self restraint to take a picture of this beaded cuff kit:

Look! The pattern is already in a sheet protector, and the whole thing is bagged and tied with a cute ribbon. Most importantly, each kit came with a bead threader thingy, so if you were to lose the first one while making the first kit, you'd have back up.

And finally, they sent an extra bead threading thingy and a few samples of different beads, accompanied by a few little hand written notes, explaining that I should try a few different kinds of beads to ascertain what I like. How very wonderful, and thanks, I think I will.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Do you know what that bead threader is? I can tell you, and it'll save you a fortune over beading supplies...unless you already know, in which case maybe some random comment reader will learn something new...so I'm putting it out there anyway.

When I strung the beads for my Odessa, I used something that looked just like this...a dental floss threader. I don't know if the blue thingie you have here is that or an Official Beading Implement, but it's the EXACT SAME as a dental floss threader...and they're dirty cheap. (Or ask for a pack of them next time you're at the dentist's office, that's what I did. Hey, I need my money for yarn. Let the dentist supply me with notions - he has plenty of money.)

9:57 AM  
Blogger rene said...

That is exactly what that is, and the nice people at Earthfaire said so in their little note. (I just enjoy typing "bead threading thingy." Heh.) I ended up using the actual metal needle because the tiny red beads are really tiny, and they strung more easily on the metal one than on the plastic one.

I am all over asking my dentist next time I go see him. It's not like he's going to straight out ask me, "hey, are you using those dental floss threaders for their intended purpose?" Or anyway, if he does, I will be seriously Freaked Out.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - I love the "metric fuckton" unit of measurement!

You are brave, knitting with those teeny teeny needles. They scare me. But your bracelet is very cool...

11:55 AM  
Blogger rene said...

The metric fuckton is my favorite unit of measurement, because it's so scientifically precise. ;)

The teeny needles took some getting used to, but once I was used to them (after I did the teeny teeny gauge swatch), I really enjoyed looking at the itsy bitsy stitches. So cute! So small!

I love the bracelet, which is destined to be with my sister. Her favorite color's red. Bracelet kit 2 is mine, all mine. ;)

12:19 PM  
Blogger aija said...

LOL, I was laughing at your time measurement :) I have dug that pattern (the mary ella) for forever but didn't even think I could use the US 000's I have for it (from the susan bates sock set, no?)... Neat.

3:04 PM  
Blogger rene said...

That's exactly the sock needles they are! I love those Susan Bates sets. They're so colorful and cheap. I keep thinking they would look festive in a tall skinny glass or bud vase, but they're still languishing in their box in the drawer. :)

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home