The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Friday, May 26, 2006

some trekalong thoughts

I'm trying to figure out what my hikes are going to be for the Trekalong. I say hikes, but what I really mean are walks, because it's already hot here, and it will only get hotter, and I will only get bigger. August's hike will probably feature a nice mosey through the apartment with the air conditioning set on 60. But hope springs eternal, so here's what I'm thinking in terms of actual outside walks:

The Botanical Gardens- they have many beautiful gardens, and little trails scattered through wooded areas. Throughout the gardens, there are benches, where the walker could take a break and knit a sock. It's also hard to get more than 10 minutes away from a bathroom. This is getting more important as times goes by.

Vulcan Park- features not only a giant metal man with a bare ass, but a nice wooded trail. The whole thing has recently been renovated, and I haven't been by since they fixed it up.

The Zoo- OK, this is less and less like a hike, isn't it? But you do walk around, and they have a new lion and a baby zebra and a butterfly encounter... ok, fine I'll just go to the zoo on my own time. ;)

Oak Mountain- a place I haven't been in some years. This features actual real hikes, and also shorter options for the pregnant among us (or, you know other people who don't want to take the longer hikes. I'd hate to be exclusionary), including a wild bird rehabilitation trail, which sounds neat. If they had it the last time I was there, I didn't see it.

So those are some of my options. I may also just mosey around the downtown area some- Birmingham is full of little parks tucked away in the commercial districts as well as the residential ones, and some of the buildings are pretty neat in their own right. I will pack a camera as well as some socks, and I don't know that they're going to be the Orange Roughy/Pomatomus ones. For some reason, I am knitting these like the world will end if I don't have wool socks by the beginning of June (the high today is 87). Next up for the Trekalong: Embossed Leaves in purple, also for me. Next up for the Great Sneaky Sock Project of 2006: some Regia that came from Elann yesterday. Sneaky Sock Project, you're not totally abandoned. I just strayed a little bit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

I'm thinking the Trekalong was designed by someone in Saskatchewan. Where else in North America could ANYONE be planning a great quantity of wool-sock-hiking-trips in freakin' July??

It's brave of you to plan for this. Even unpregnant, I won't even leave the office to go down the block to pick up lunch again until, like, October. If I were pregnant here in the summer, I'd be in an ice bath for four months.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - I would have to be carrying wool socks in July, not wearing them... I like you're list of "hikes" - a nice balance!

2:47 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Clearly, I didn't plan this whole baby having adventure very well. To be honest, when we decided to start trying to get pregnant, I didn't think we would be successful so quickly. 8 months pregnant in Alabama is going to be a blast, heh heh. Ice baths are going to be the least of the measures I will take. Ben's going to need his winter sweaters just to sit in the apartment.

And believe me, I will be carrying the socks along, not wearing them! I also planned my "hikes" so I can mostly wear sandals. ;) My fabu Trekking socks will be reserved for my pleasantly icy home.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home