The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

shopping for baby stuff

I went shopping with my mother to get a few things for the Future Progeny. In a fit of synchronicity, the Yarn Harlot posted this entry. When we went to the local Macy's and got to the baby section, a freaky sight met our eyes. The entire section was neatly bisected into two halves, one overwhelmingly pink, and one completely blue. It was with great difficulty that I found a few things for the FP that were green or yellow, even. Purple was right out, as was a nice bright red, or orange. When my sister looked at our purchases, she said "I notice a theme here." The theme was little animals, because it's either little animals or trucks or baseballs.*

I'm not setting out to deliberately confuse every random who peeks in the stroller. I'm not trying to make them say, "Oh, what a cute little...?" BUT! The little guy surely deserves a wardrobe in more than one hue, right? Surely he won't be into fire trucks and nothing but fire trucks at six weeks of age, and unless he's some sort of prodigy likely to end up in the National Enquirer, I doubt he'll be lugging baseballs through the air before he's two months old, either. And I'm not saying it was better for the little girls, either, just different. Surely it's rather a leap to label a newborn a drama queen? Besides the fact that she may well be screaming all the time, of course.

*I did get him these soccer shoes. My husband plays soccer, and the FP would be getting cute little bitty soccer shoes regardless of gender. But look at the grouping of shoes. The whole store was like that.

**edited to add: I really kind of want to get this shirt, but I feel as though that would be tempting fate in some way.


In more exciting Future Progeny news, I can now feel him moving around. In an earlier age, I believe this was called the quickening. (Please try and ignore any sudden thoughts of Christopher Lampert you might be having). To my surprise, if I lie on my back, I can put my hand over my stomach and feel him moving around from the outside. To achieve this, you have to put your hand in a pretty personal place, so thus far, it's just my husband who has felt the movement. But we stayed up about an hour after we really should have been asleep just feeling him move around in there. It's pretty damn amazing.

What, knitting? The cuff for the 1st Eleanora sock is looking pretty awesome, and I started another Odessa hat. They're like Pringles. You can't make just one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - we watched my SIL's belly move all crazy around Saturday night and it was pretty cool and pretty eerie. Very eerie to hold that little person yesterday.

6:11 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Oh, man, I can't wait! For the belly moving and more for the holding of the little person. Congratulations on being an aunt!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Alyson said...

Aww, there's a baby coming? Congratulations! (I'm a stranger, I'm allowed to be slower on the uptake than most of the world.) I can't wait to see all the wonderful knits that are sure to come! ;-)

8:36 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Aww, thanks alyson! We're pretty darn excited. He's already got one knit. One of these days I'll block it and post pictures. :)

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home