The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

pomatomus

They're finished! And I love them! Those who feared that my feet would be ill protected against the wintry chills of June in Alabama, set your mind at ease. The Pomatomus(es?) wouldn't wait, possibly setting a record as the Fastest Sock I've Ever Knit (definitely the fastest patterned sock I've ever knit), clocking in at under a week.


They are made of Trekking XXL color 110, which I love. And it's a good thing I do, because between the leftovers from these socks and the baby sweater, I definitely have enough for another pair of socks. I used US 1s instead of 2s, because I knit loosely, and they fit perfectly.

I have the feeling I will knit Pomatomus again. The end result is gorgeous, and the process is fun. I think part of the reason that they went so quickly for me is that the results of the pattern are so easy to track. It's fun to watch the ribs creeping towards each other, and it's fun to see what color the Trekking will come up with next.

It's possible that I'm easily amused.

Is that frost I see on the bricks? No, it's a paint fleck! A chilly paint fleck. Brrr!

How about a closer look at the heels?

And of course, the toes.

Happy, happy feet. And now, back to our regularly scheduled Great Sneaky Sock Project of 2006, and my brother-in-law's huge honkin' feet. Good times.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Oooh! I LOVE them!! And look - no weird pooling! Trekking is therefore King of the Stripey Sock Yarns. The LYS in Asheville, NC (where Mom lives) carries Trekking, so I'm going to have to pop in and snatch up a few skeins over July 4 weekend. (Along with some Manos, which I can't find down here but they do have there.)

Aw, this makes me wish I hadn't ripped my Poms off the needles. (The yarn is dark, so it was hard to tell, but I don't think they were going well.)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Those are stunning! I am in awe that you knit them in a week - Wow. Serious knitterly skillz there. :)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Hmm...it took me more like a month to complete my p-socks, but I like them as much as you like yours. Yours look great!

12:52 PM  
Blogger aija said...

They look great! Do you think you had enough left over to extend the leg portion an extra repeat?

5:03 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Thanks for all the compliments, y'all! I love them. I don't know that it's so much my skillz, but a perfect meeting of pattern + yarn + knitter = fast. Thank you, though.

Trekking is seriously King of all Stripey Yarns chez Rocket. You just can't get too het up about things matching exactly. :) Definitely pick some up when you have the opportunity- they must think Floridians don't need wool socks in the summer or something. :)

I feel pretty confident that I could have gotten another repeat out of what I had left over. I am 100% certain I could have gotten another half repeat out of it. I did 2.5 repeats for the foot, so I'm not sure how that compares to the foot length of the ones you did.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Sandra D. said...

Ah, so I CAN use Trekking for the Pots! It's fabulous, and I have 4 balls of various shades hiding in my closet. They're up next! Yours are super.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Gorgeous socks. The texture is fascinating, like scales on a dragon or something. The trekking yarn looks great.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home