The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Sunday, May 07, 2006

odessa

I needed a quick gift for a little girl's birthday. I had been forewarned about the party, but forgot it completely until my husband mentioned it to me on Friday. So I looked around online and found the pattern for Odessa, courtesy of Grumperina. Yesterday morning, I went to the LYS and picked up a ball of Rowan Cashsoft DK, and then to pick up some beads. Here's the end result:




My model is certainly not as cute as the intended recipient, but I don't have a little girl on hand to model for me.



I knit on this with periods of great intensity, but there was still time for a long lunch outside with my family and a trip to the zoo. I finished this morning. I love this pattern! It is interesting and easy to memorize, and the end result is stunning. (I also picked up another ball of Cashsoft in green. Hey, I need a hat, too.) And it is quick to knit. If you need a hat on Sunday, you can start it Saturday. Just, you know, don't count on blocking it.
This yarn is fabulous. I loved knitting with it. I mean, I really loved knitting with it. It's hard to explain to a non-knitter why it's such a fantastic yarn, but I really tried. And my husband listened with at least the pretense of interest, for which I am grateful, even reaching over to pet the yarn when so instructed. Maybe one of these days I'll finish his sweater.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

It turned out great - and I love your model!

11:00 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Thanks, chris- he's often the hat model around here. :)

10:15 AM  
Blogger Alyson said...

Is it not a huge huge pain in the butt working with the beads? I've never done beadwork, and I really want to make this hat, but I wondered if it would be a fidgety project...I thought about doing it without, but the beads seem to add a really great touch.

(You know, he's having a REALLY hard time continuing to look so tough with you covering him in handmade beaded girlie-goods. He looks like he's kind of down about the whole thing.)

11:49 AM  
Blogger trek said...

I love the gargoyle - thanks for visiting and complimenting the bags - want one? :o)

1:20 PM  
Blogger rene said...

alyson, this beadwork was not at all fiddly! It was fun and easy. The only fiddly part was actually stringing the beads, and most of that was because I'm kind of a spaz. It's definitely worth the effort because the end product looks beautiful.

And y'all, the gargoyle is bluching with all these compliments- which also makes it hard for him to feel tough. ;)

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home