The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Sunday, May 14, 2006

mother's day update

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. Mother's Day snuck up on me, and as I work in a florist's, it meant some very long and exhausting days towards the end of this week, with little time for knitting and less time for blogging. Mostly there was time for getting home from work and conking out on the couch. House cleaning was right out. I did get some knitting done.

The first Eleanora sock is now past the heel! This is a very clear, very enjoyable pattern with lots of charts. (I really love charts. I am a fairly recent convert to charts, having begun knitting about 8 yearas ago, and having only found the chart love in the last year and a half or so. Now I chart out patterns myself if they are written out. Graph paper is fun.) It's also easy to memorize. Blogger wouldn't upload my progress picture a few days ago, and now I'm glad, because this morning I took my camera outside and took a slightly more artful shot than my usual "here is my knitting on the couch" pose:





I don't really know what's up with the cherub feet. The belong to one of my neighbors, and are broken off at about the waist. I'm sure they used to belong to an entire cherub, but the years have apparently not been kind, and no one could apparently be bothered to be rid of the poor little feet. Ah, renting.

And another shot of the sock, just because I think it's pretty:



I love the yarn (from Black Bunny Fibers.) The color is gorgeous (thank you, Carol!) and it's knitting up really well, with all the pretty little textured stitches popping out as they are supposed to do. There are subtle variations in the shades of gold, subtle enough that the color and the texture showcase each other. If it's not clear, I'm really enjoying knitting with it. :)

Also, my husband (whose mother's feet these socks will clad) is really impressed with the historical nature of the pattern. He's convinced that she will be head over heels about them. (Thank you, Miriam!) All in all, we're very pleased with these socks here at chez Rocket.

Have a great weekend! I'm going to Mother's Day brunch and the Botanical Gardens, and then to cook dinner with my mother. We'll do Mother's Day with my MIL when she gets back from Scotland. I know she's terribly sad to have to miss it here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Yes! Those are awesome - I love that color! And THANK YOU for linking to that pattern - I have the Perfect Red yarn for socks for my best friend, and finding the right pattern has been tough -s but she's an archaeologist, so if I knit her something of historical significance (and include a write-up and some photos) she'll go even more nuts over it.

Thank you for saving me hours of Internet pattern searching!!

3:32 PM  
Blogger rene said...

You're welcome! It's always nice to find a pattern that really fits the intended recipient. I'm planning on including the historical notes from the pattern with the socks when I give them to my MIL. And I have to say, trying them on to check the fit, they look even better on a foot. I bet they'd look great in some Greenwood, dontcha think? ;)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Your Eleanoras are great! I haven't seen any knitted in this particular shade, and I think it really works for them.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home