The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Sunday, May 28, 2006

block party

Here are the results of the recent block party: the Very Red socks, the Eleanora socks, and the FP's very first sweater, featuring crappy fauxtarsia as detailed in the last post.






It doesn't look that bad from kinda far away, so let's zoom in a little closer:




Now you can see the semi i-cord "texture" and the horribly distorted stitches that didn't undistort after blocking. Like I said, it looks homemeade rather than handmade. But will I be re-knitting this? No. No, I will not. I can live with it, and the Future Progeny certainly won't care. I'll expend ever so much more thought and care on his next sweater, promise.

I (obviously!) made up the pattern, such as it was. Trekking 110 and 78 on US 1s, less than 1 skein of each (much less, in the case of the 110.) I like everything about it except its focal point, heh heh.



Some things came in the mail this week.


Here you see the Regia I ordered from Elann (the brown is intended for my BIL), the lack of which forced- forced, I say!- me to start the Pomatomus socks earlier this week. More exciting still is the big purple skein lurking behind the Regia. I read this post by Carol, describing unusual sheep breeds, and then mosied over to her shop, where this skein of Clum Forest in Mulberry looked at me with sad eyes until I bought it. It is absolutely lovely, and I have no idea what I'm going to make with it at all. There are about 500 yards. Any ideas?

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You could make a lacey shawl with it!

I think the sweater looks ok. :)

6:42 PM  
Blogger Alyson said...

I don't know why I keep thinking they'd make fabulous leg warmers. There is no such thing as fabulous leg warmers. I'm coming up tragically short of other ideas.

11:34 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Yeah, the sweater looks ok, just not, you know, good. Next time.

I'm thinking a lacy shawl, too. Or a lacy something. Legwarmers might leap to mind, but really, they would never be necessary in Alabama. Plus, I think you have to be a certain age goup or level of fashion victim to pull them off, and I'm neither. ;)

Luckily, I have approximately 1 squillion other projects to finish before I even think about this yarn, so hopefully inspiration will strike before then.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Alyson said...

I'm secretly a little jealous of the Legwarmer People. There are only about 47 people on the planet who can wear them and not look absolutely ridiculous. I am not one of them. And really, what's the difference between that and knee-high socks? Although come to think of it, I don't know that I could pull that off either.

11:39 AM  
Blogger rene said...

I know what you mean. I'm not one of the Legwarmer People, but in high school, I was one of the Knee High Socks people. Usually with Docs and a dress. Good times. It had to do with that "age group" thing, I'm sure.

My sister is one of those people who can pull off far more exciting fashion than I can. I always feel like a tool when I try, and she makes it seem effortless. I suspect that a lot of it has to do with self-confidence, and not constantly wondering if people looking at you think you look like an ass. If you're thinking about it, you probably do, and if it doesn't occur to you, you probably don't.

It does make her oodles of fun to knit for. I made her a cotton backless halter top, which I could never in a million years wear, and it looks absolutely smashing on her. :)

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home