The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Friday, April 14, 2006

a very productive day

Button, Button

I have to say, I really kind of wanted rockin' orange buttons for this wine bag. However, the button gods were not with me when I hit the variety store yesterday. (The craft store does not have buttons. I was kind of shocked. The closest they had was one of those 1/2 pound mixed bags, which, honestly, I didn't need to get for a project which requires only 4 matching buttons.) The variey store had orange buttons, but they did not fulfill my requirements, being neither a) cute, nor b) sassy. The knitting store (well, yes, of course I stopped by, I actually had an errand that required me to go there) had orange buttons which were cute and sassy but flower shaped. Since this is a gift for my dad, I decided a more basic geometric shape is what is wanted. So I got wood buttons, in your basic round. They match the handles, and I think they will do swimmingly.


Swag

Also yesterday, one of those exciting white priority mail boxes came from Elann. It had 3 proto-socks within. I have already mentioned a visit to the craft store. I am putting something together for my husband's place of employment which necessitated a trip there, i.e. it required one metric fuckton of polished river rocks, which I cleverly thought I could carry in a basket rather than in a shopping cart. The volume was correct, but the weight was kinda off. So of course I had to scoot by the fiber aisle. And the bead aisle, because you never know when you might want to slap beads on something. Well, you don't. Anyway, amongst the ginormous scarf needles, I spotted a Susan Bates set of sock needles.


Let's take a closer look. (Also, check out my newly polished toes. It won't last, but it's pretty while it's there.)

I don't know if you can read the packaging, but it says, "Sock Set. 5 of each size. 1.5, 1.75, 2.0, 2.25 mm. 000, 00, 0, 1 US." Yowza! And the cost for all this socky goodness? $9.99. It would have been criminal not to get them. That's $.50 a needle. Let's compare that to another recent acquisition, my Lantern Moon rosewood 2.25 mm dpns, which at $20 for the set were $4 a needle. One of these snapped 3 inches into a stockinette glove (picking up the replacement was why I was at the LYS yesterday. Well, yes, I did buy some yarn while I was there.) Anyway, I'm not usually a fan of aluminum needles relative to my other options, but I will tell you this right now: there is someone who is getting a pair of socks knitted on US 000 needles sometime in the near future. That someone is me.

Meow

I bought this bowl last year

a) because it's pretty darn cute, and

b) because it reminds me of something.


2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That bowl and the corresponding picture are great! I love how they're squished together on the scratcher. Very reminiscent of how Chaos likes to sit and look out the window!

I like the buttons and handles you got - sassy maybe isn't right for a dad anyway...

2:23 PM  
Blogger rene said...

It's true, sassy would not be the adjective I would generally pick to describe my dad, now that I think of it.

I love kitties looking out of windows! One of our windows looks out onto a fairly busy road, so we keep the blinds down. The blinds are now malformed because Flo and Buckley like to squish themselves through to check up on what's happening outside.

And that's so not the only bowl I've purchased because it looked like my cats. ;)

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home