The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

sad socks

Socks, socks, and more socks

Oh, little red socks, you must be so sad. You sit on top of the speakers, forlorn and half-finished. "We're so sassy and lacy and cute!" you cry from across the room. I'm sorry, I really am. I just have so much Trekking XXLove to give right now. It's the plies. They're entrancing. I'll get back to you, I promise. You're not due until I am, right?


I did something a little different on this sock. I used the yarn from the outside of the ball to knit the heel. You see, while the fraternal sock nature of Trekking does not bother me one iota, the break in color I kept getting after beginning rounds again after the heel was seriously bugging me. The color transitions are so gloriously smooth and gradual that the break really stood out to me. No longer!

I am going to a cousin's wedding this weekend, and I'm in the lucky position of not having to drive. Woo hoo! to six hours of knitting each way. As I am 1) unable to knit on the Sneaky Sock Project of 2006 in front of my family members, and 2) unable to step away from the Trekking, this seems like a great opportunity to work on the purple and orange baby sweater I have planned.


Pregnancy Brain

So, I'd heard tell of this "pregnancy brain" and how forgetful it can make a mother to be, but I didn't really believe in it that strongly. Until these events:

1) I sat staring at the cash register for 30 seconds, unable to recall the single letter I had to type into the screen to cause it to Z-out. Half a minute I sat there. The letter is "Z".

2) I really, truly thought I had sent a file to a client two weeks ago, until I got an email asking where the file was. It seems I never sent it.

3) I put together a delicious lunch of leftovers and put it on the coffee table right next to my purse, where I would remember to pick it up this morning and where presumably, it still sits. Until the cats smell the lamb and knock it over. And drag the lamb all over the carpet. And probably throw up later.

Sigh.

6 Comments:

Blogger ChrisWoznitza said...

Hi ich bin Chriswab aus Bottrop !! Viele GrĂ¼sse !!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Very clever idea about the heel and using the outside of the ball!

My SIL is due in a week or so and we're really getting to see pregnancy brain in action. Or lack thereof. Hang in there!

3:51 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Thanks, Chris! I don't know what it says about me that it took me til the fourth pair of Trekking socks to think of it, though. ;)

Congratulations on your SIL! I'm sure she's ready to be done. My big worry is that the pregnancy brain might last past the prenancy.

12:18 PM  
Blogger rene said...

And, German Guy, thank you for commenting. Alas, I don't speak German, so your website meant little to me, but babelfish assures me that your greeting above is not naughty:

Rear one I is Chriswab from Bottrop!! Many greetings!!

Unless Rear one means something dirty, in which case I don't want to know.

12:22 PM  
Blogger trek said...

It isn't really "pregnancy brain" - it continues into the offspring's childhood. It is "parent brain" - sorry...

;o)

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Hope you make the Arizona Lace Socks

4:19 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Thanks, trek, something to look forward to. ;) At least I can look forward to it ending in oh, 20 years or so.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home