The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Thursday, April 13, 2006

on the needles


Progress Report:




Here is the Stack o' Socks, cunningly placed on the speaker next to the tv so that no moment of viewing pleasure shall be wasted with idle hands. The red socks pretty much stay there, for programs that don't require all that much attention, while the Surf socks are for programs that require actual looking at the screen. They're also more well-travelled, hopping into my bag to take a jaunt over to my family's houses, or to keep me occupied during the long stretches of boredom at work. Let's take a closer look:




Ah, the Surf socks. Simple. Mindless. Cotton. Bright- one almost might say garish. Spring-y, why not. The safety pin with the arrow indicates how long I had to knit before I got to the end of the yarn that was barfed out of the beginning of the ball. I use little coilless safety pins to mark everything.

The Wildfoote socks. So red! So bright! So lacy! (It kind of just looks like ribbing right now, doesn't it? I promise it looks better on a foot.)

I took these pictures outside to get better light. That's the best representation of the red socks I've gotten yet, on my moniter anyway. I live in an apartment building on a pretty busy road, and right now, folks are headed into work. I bet I would have gotten some funny looks if everyone weren't so caffeine deprived and tired. Now back inside:

Some might say a tv is for watching. While that's certainly true, it's also a good place to display projects both current and future. The pile of white will one day be my husband's very most treasured possession: a beautiful, all-over cabled, shawl-collared cardigan. With pockets. And cool toggle buttons. Completely designed- just for him- by his loving wife. It's been taking a rest for about the last three months. I decided to knit it all in one piece from the neck down, and it has gotten huge and unwieldy, and requires that I be by myself and pretty focused to work on it. So if I don't finish it by the time the baby is born it will not be finished until the kid's in college. Now that's motivation.

To the right of the future Most Treasured Possession is a pile of Trekkiing XXL (love!) in purple and orange, destined to be our progeny's first sweater. It will have intarsia on the front- already graphed out- and buttons atop the sleeves to allow easy access over the kid's huge head. I will get to it soonish.

The blue thing next to it was going to be a felted wine bag until I realized I didn't have nearly enough yarn, and what was I thinking, so I need to frog it. It's also been sitting there for a few months. I'll get to it. I will.

This is a horrible, horrible picture. I am aware of that. However, it will suffice to show you a WIP that's (yay!) almost an FO. This is a wine bag, destined to go to my dad when everyone else is getting socks or gloves because I already gave him his socks, and his feet are really big, so I'm sparing myself knitting him another pair when I have four more pairs of big feet guy socks to go. I got the cute little handles at my LYS, and I'm getting some cute orange buttons today. The buttons will be used to bend the bag to my will, because it didn't quite turn out to be the shape I wanted. That's okay. I'll know what to do next time.

That's Flo in the picture (short for Florence, but we never call her that). She can't resist new stuff on the floor, or not being where stuff's happening. Except when people other than myself or my husband are involved. Then she hides under the bed. Seriously, my family calls her Imaginary Cat, because they never see her. We have another cat, Buckley, but knitting on the floor interests him less. He'll make an appearance, never fear.

Day Off

Woo hoo, it's my day off! I have many plans.

1. Pedicure with SIL

2. Visit to LYS

3. Get bigger trousers, possibly with (ugh) maternity waist. Get bigger bra to stop hideous boob lines.

4. Get sassy orange buttons

5. Clean the house if there's absolutely nothing else to do.

I'm pretty sure they'll all get done except that last one.




2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hope you enjoyed your day off and did NO CLEANING. :)

A Trekking sweater? That sounds very cool. Looking forward to finding out more about that as it develops!

Hi Flo! Chaos is sort of like that - he's very curious and busy when it's me, but he's not that keen on other people...

9:32 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Thanks, Chris! My day off was delightful. Lots of knitting, lots of reading, minimal cleaning at best.

I just can't stop loving me some Trekking. Got to start the kid off right, don'tchaknow. ;)

Buckley is not nearly as people-shy as Flo, but he gets pretty seriously grumpy sometimes. Then he gets grumpier when we laugh because it's cute.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home