The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

oh, cat hairs

Knitting

I've made a huge mistake. Actually, it's not that bad. It's possible that no one but me will notice it. It's on the red socks for my sister, who is not a knitter, and who really probably won't notice it. And it's on the part that will be in her shoe, so even other knitters, when they accost her on the street and say, "Wow, what fabulous hand-knit socks!", are pretty darn unlikely to notice. I'll photodocument it in all its horror when the socks are finished, so that, rather than it going unnoticed, anyone with access to the internet can point and laugh.

The hat I so recklessly cast on yesterday is progressing apace. I decided that the Cotton Fleece would be insufficient to the hat I wished to make, so I added stripes. Did I have more Cotton Fleece, perhaps in a kicky contrasting color? No. Do either of my LYSs carry Cotton Fleece? No. So I'm using Lamb's Pride Superwash in Misty Blue, also from the stash. If you were here, you could see me smugly patting myself on the back. So now it's a very pretty blue on blue hat, part mostly cotton, part 100% wool, heh heh. It's a study in texture.

I even used the jogless jog for the very first time ever, having read it about it last night in Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Knitting Rules, which I purchased and then read through last night in lieu of, e.g. doing the dishes. All manner of nice things have been said about this book and author, and probably more eloquently than I could, so let me just say that I really, really enjoyed it. I don't think I've ever read a knitting book from cover to cover until now- I usually flip around. I laughed out loud a few times, and I learned some new things. Either one of those things by itself would garner a recommendation. This book gets you both.


More Pills
(not the kind you find on your sweater)

I have to call the pharmacy to renew my prescription (!) for prenatal vitamins. (The gaggy kind, not the fish burp kind.) I have two questions about this process. First, why do you need a perscription for vitamins? As careful as I'm being about every little thing I put in my body these days, I can't believe that prenatal vitamins would hurt a non-gravid woman. (In case you were wondering, you don't need a prescription to buy the fish burp kind.) Second, and more vexing, why on earth don't they just package the prenatal vitamins in a nice big 9 month jar?

This bothers me.


Gratuitous Pet Shot:

This is why I always have cat hair on my clothes, even though I haven't actually worn said clothes yet.



I thought it was because I need to vacuum the couch.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

When I was really anemic way back when, I had to take prenatal vitamins and I puzzled over the prescription, too. What the? Are there serious vitamin abusers out there or what?

Heh, mystery solved about cat hair on the clothes - and now no need to vacuum the couch! :)

11:36 PM  
Blogger rene said...

I have this vision of people huddled in alleyways, saying "Hey, man... I really need to score some of that folic acid!" I just don't get it. :)

Believe me, I never really feel like I need to vacuum anything. That's why my apartment looks like it does. ;)

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home