The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Sunday, April 02, 2006

now for some knitting

I mentioned that I was working on some socks and gloves. Here is some of my progress. For my mom, I've made some gloves. She's gotten socks from me before, albeit not in a few years. I used Elann's Sock It To Me Puzzle, in a color I've forgotten the name of. Naturally, I've misplaced the ball band. I used US 1, 2.5 mm bamboo dpns, and that article on gloves from Interweave Knits Winter 2003. I think they're very festive and spring-y. The tea tin* next to the gloves will work well for presentation, I think.

Floey thinks so too. She's very helpful during photo shoots.

For my sister-in-law, I've made the Embossed Leaves Socks from IK Winter 2005. The observant will note that sock 2 has yet to have the ends sewn in. (The observant may also notice my unshaven legs, but please be gentle; it's Sunday morning.) Since the heels are stockinette stitch, I'm reinforcing them by weaving in extra yarn, Maggie Righetti style. I used Trekking XXL color 90 (I think!) on US 1/2.5mm dpns. I loved almost everything about this pattern, and I will definitely be making it again, for myself next time. The one thing I didn't like was the cast on. It was extremely tight (or possibly I was doing it incorrectly), so after I frogged it 3 times I said screw it and used a long tail cast on. My SIL wears a size larger shoe than I do, so if it was hard to get over my heel, it would have been brutal to get over hers.


One of the things I loved about the pattern was the heel. The garter stitch border was so pretty with the purl border around the leaves on the top of the foot. Of course, IK had two pictures of the front of the sock, and nary a one of the heel! Let me take a moment while we're looking at the heel to wax rhapsodic about Trekking XXL. I love this yarn so much! This is my 3rd pair of socks made with it. The yarn is made with four plies, each of which slowly shifts color, so the color changes are unpredictible and gradual. Every round is a surprise. It's so my new favorite sock yarn. And yet with all this love, I haven't made a pair of socks with it for myself yet. I assure you, that problem will be rectified.

And finally, my WIP. This is a sock I'm making up my ownself. The yarn is Brown Sheep's Wildfoote in the color Ragtime. This pair is for my sister, whose very most favorite color ever is red. I'm using Arches and Columns from one of Barbara Walker's Treasuries (the exact one escapes me at the moment) and once I have finished knitting the socks, I wil tell you more about the pattern. I am knitting these socks on US 0/2.0 mm Addis. I'm doing one foot at a time, and then I suspect I'll do the legs at once on two circs so as to assure their lengths being consistent even if one skein of yarn is a tad shorter than the other.

Working with the Wildfoote is certainly a change from working with the Trekking. It's a bit harsher on the hands, although experience tells me that once she washes them a few times, they'll be soft as all get out, and wear very well. I made some green Wildfoot socks for myself a few years back, and have machine washed and dried them, and they remain pretty darn fabulous.

I've already made 3 pairs of boy socks, 2 for my husband (the other 2 Trekking pairs) and one for my dad out of Regia with a Trekking heel and toe. Those I'll show you another time. I went ahead and gave my dad his before I decided I was embarking on the Great Pregnancy Hands and Feet Project. All of these other projects will reach their recipients a few weeks before I birth this baby, so sometime in September, if all goes well.

*Speaking of pregnancy (and tea), it's a sad fact that when you're preparing to be a part of the miracle of life etc. etc., you have to give up a number of fun things. On the list are indulgences such as booze, sushi, and staying up past 10 p.m. Sadly for the coffee addicts amonst us, caffeine is on the list of things you must reduce. (However, right now I am indulging in my favorite flavor, which apparently comes in decaf, but not at my grocery store, and I'm lazy, so...) The upshot is that I am drinking much more tea than I did previously. By the time these socks and gloves are finished, I'm pretty sure I'll have enough tea tins for all 10 giftlicious projects, and possibly some to spare. Cute presentation that wraps easily and smells good. What more could a girl ask?


2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

It's good that Floey helps you out with your photoshoots. It's a cat's duty. :)

Those embossed leaves are gorgeous! I can hardly wait to knit myself some Trekking socks - I have an assortment of colors, but have other Project Spectrum and obligation knitting to do first. *sigh*

The goves are great, too - I'm not sure I have it in me to knit fingers. I hate thumbs in mittens, and I'm thinking gloves are a whole lotta thumbs. ;)

3:13 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Hee! I ADORE the Trekking! I just wish my LYS carried more colors. I could pretty seriously stock up.

I really, really liked the embossed leaves pattern. It was loads of fun to knit. Definitely a worthwhile use for the Trekking... eventually!

It's not so much the knitting of the fingers that I mind- it's the sewing in the ends, especially at the tip of the finger. Who needs a reinforced fingertip? As for not liking knitting them, thank goodness sfeet are thumb free. ;)

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home