The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Thursday, April 27, 2006

it's a boy!

Woo hoo!

We went in for the 20 week ultrasound yesterday, and it's a boy! It's so exciting to know 50% more about this little person than I did yesterday. He was curled up rather modestly, so it took a few tries to identify his gender 100 percent, but we got him to move around eventually. A fly on the wall would have laughed. I got up, jumped up and down, and drank some water- all under the loving eyes of my audience: my husband, my mother, my sister, and my sister-in-law. And the ultrasound lady, of course. And the Future Progeny finally revealed himself.

It's funny, because even though I'm thrilled to know it's a son, it's a little bittersweet to know that it's not a daughter. Up until yesterday, it was almost as though I had two potential children, a boy and a girl. I'm completely happy to know that I have one of them, but that means I don't have the other. It's a funny feeling.

The best part, of course, was hearing the (completely awesome) ultrasound lady say that everything looks completely normal and healthy, and that in fact the FP is tall (she actually said long) for his age. Then the nurse told us baby boy stories. They pee over their heads, y'all. Oy.

I did finish something yesterday:


Socks for my brother-in-law, complete with heels from the other side of the ball of yarn. If it's slow at work today, I'm sewing in the ends.

Anti- woo hoo

The only blight on this time of joy is that my insurance, apparently, sucks ass. I had a few "out of network" procedures done- a biopsy for abnormal cells and the multiple marker test to find out if the FP is likely to have genetic abnormalities (he's not very likely to, thank god) and my insurance is being bitchy about it. My company switched from BCBS to an insurer with a lower monthly premium, and I'm questioning how wise a decision this was if the largest health care provider in the state is "out of network." Arrrgh. It makes me want to tear my hair out. My fingers are crossed that I can make them suck it up and pay what it says in my contract they'll pay. The only thing out of network should mean to me is a slightly higher copay.

3 Comments:

Blogger trek said...

Congratulations on your impending son. Thanks for visiting my blog and reading my Fib!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Woo-hoo!! How exciting. I think I understand what you mean about the two potential children, too. My brother and his wife didn't find out (well, that they've told us), and as a knitter it's driving me crazy. Good thing the baby is due this weekend.

Those socks turned out very cool! I've been sharing that tip about doing the heels from the other end of the ball, and everyone is very impressed with the elegant simplicity of that solution.

8:25 AM  
Blogger rene said...

trek- it's a very cool Fib!

chris- We thought about not finding out, but honestly, we just couldn't wait. Not when we had the possibility of knowing. And then we couldn't keep our mouths shut for 5 minutes about it. I know what you mean about being driven crazy by not knowing- my cousin didn't find out with her first, and she said she got nothing but white clothes for the baby. All the yarn I've bought for baby stuff so far has pretty much been green and purple. :)

This weekend?! Exciting stuff! (I can't wait!)

Thanks for sharing the heel thing- like I said, it took me being bothered through 6 socks before I thought of it. :P

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home