The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

in which I feel cool

While we were in Baton Rouge, I got to feel like quite the knitting bad ass. My aunt used to knit unstoppably. In fact, she used to do all things crafty unstoppably. She could needlepoint like nobody's business, cross-stitch like it was going out of style, and probably a bunch of other stuff that I don't know about. However, it had been several decades since she picked up a needle of any crafting persuasion.

Lately, however, the urge to knit had struck her once more, inspired, I believe, by her grandchildren. She had one afghan on the needles, and one off. As in, it fell off her circular needle, and she couldn't remember how to put the stitches back on. When she told me about it and asked me to help her, I envisioned a horrible, scary mess, with cables ripped back 20 rows in some places. But when I actually saw it, pretty much all the stitches had stayed in their places, hanging out, waiting for someone to come pick them up, and the most complicated action I had to deal with was putting some yarn overs back on the needle correctly.

I know that had I not been coming to see her, she would have messed with it until she remembered how to fix it. But since I was, I got to feel great. I helped somebody who's been knitting since before I was born. It's not every day I get to feel like a bad ass.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yay you!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home