The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Thursday, April 06, 2006

a bit of this, a bit of that

Knitting

I have made some progress on both the red socks and the Surf socks, which I now think are going to be a surprise for my mom. They're bright and cheerful, and definitely spring-y. The Surf socks are my carry-along project and the red ones are stay at homes, for the moment. As it's been ridiculously slow at work, the Surf ones are zooming right along.

I have so many projects I want to be working on right now, it's a bit of an effort of will not to just keep starting and starting more things. And that's not even considering the number of unfinished projects floating around our apartment. I think that needs to the subject of a photo essay.

Pills and Such

I really, really dislike my pre-natal vitamins. Fear not, I'm faithfully popping them every day. I'm not a big pill taker anyhow, and these are decidedly unpleasant. The multi vitamin was described to me by my awesome doctor as "not that big" which makes me bless my mom even more, because if this is "not that big," I hate to think of the elephant sized pills she was forcing down her gullet when she was carrying my sister and me back in the 1970s. As it is, I swish a lot of water around in my mouth, toss the pill in, close my eyes and think of England, and try not to accidentally gag myself as I swallow a pill roughly the size of a camel. Bleah.

And then there's the lipil pill. The box has text which indicates that taking this pill is a gift I can give my baby. The gift this pill gives to me is fishy burps about 30 minutes after I take it. Delightful. At least it's a gel pill, and therefore easy to swallow. What these vitamins really do is make me miss chewable Flinstones.

Another thing going on is that I am in dire need of a bigger bra. I have the equivalent of visible panty line for the chest. I was a busty gal to start with, and now I'm starting to feel a little ridiculous. Also, the baby belly has begun! Right now I don't look so much like incipient mom as terminally bloated. I'm making a trip this weekend to up both bra and jeans sizes. I only have one pair of jeans that still fits well, so I guess it's time to make the dreaded transistion to elastic waisted trousers.

The cool thing about all this is that if I lie flat on my back and press on my stomach with my hand, I can feel where the baby is. I woke up a few mornings ago and made my husband feel my stomach too to make sure I wasn't wishful feeling the whole thing, and either we really can feel it, or we both just want to really badly.

Weekend

I haven't been having many Saturdays off, which sucks, as that's my husband's day off, but I've been trying to work my schedule around to every other Saturday off, and this Saturday is one. I'm very, very excited. The last Saturday I had off, we went to the Botanical Gardens and walked around for a few hours, and it was wonderful. This Saturday, we're going to the Zoo. And not only are we going to the Zoo, we're going with some friends of ours and their little girl. If going to the zoo is fun- and it is- going with a small child is fantastic. The last time we went with a small child was maybe three years ago. He rushed from exhibit to exhibit, while the adults trailed along behind him, moving far too slowly, until he got to the Coolest Thing in the Zoo, and we had a hard time making him leave. What was this Coolest Thing, you wonder, what animal could entrance this little boy?

A tractor. Yes, the wonders of construction kept this child motionless where tigers and zebras and giraffes could not. I'm really looking forward to Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home